I'm a Stranger Here

The public journal of a Philadelphian in Chicago

That place where the bones of life are piled
I know somethin' has changed
I'm a stranger here and no one sees me
'Cept you, yeah you.

-- "Nobody 'Cept You", Bob Dylan

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Four more years!

Well, the results are in and W has been reelected. Some of my friends, I'm sure, are quite despondent at the moment. Though I try not to use this blog for political matters, I thought I had to make some sort of comment. I promise to say no more about the election following this post.

I must admit, I'm quite relieved: national security is my deciding factor and I've never really trusted Kerry on this issue. The man voted against the first Gulf War for the Lord's sake and never really offered a compelling worldview.

While on many issues, I diverge greatly from Bush (e.g. prescription drug goodies for the elderly, an inability to curb spending, support of the idiotic Federal Marriage Amendment), I generally have agreed with the outlines of his foreign policy - most notably, the isolation of Arafat, the destruction of the loathsome Taliban, the free elections in Afghanistan, and the capture of the Monster Hussein.

While many have fallen asleep, I have not forgotten that dark day in September. It was then I abandoned my isolationist tendencies and realized that war had been declared on us and that we could no longer stand aside as tyrants and thugs pursued the means to our destruction, while oppressing the free people of the world. Am I an idealist? Sure. But these dreams are not impossible ones. Thanks to Bush, Kurds, Marsh Arabs, Tajiks, Pashtuns, Chaldeans, and Iraqi Sunnis and Shias are free.

I hope this administration will have the courage, foresight and skill to handle the challenges ahead: Iran's race to join the nuclear club; Sudan's continuing disregard for the rights of its African citizens, both Christian and Muslim; N. Korea's continuing attempts to extort the West; the instability and violence that still plague Iraq; the perpetual Palestinian-Israeli problem. These are the vital questions of our day - and I pray that somehow we may get through them with grace and speed. I, the American people and, indeed, the world, will be watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home